Recruiting Transfer Portal

Sure and we’ll land someone else and be fine.
Sorry but basis can we say that anymore? It was one thing going through coaching changes. This is totally different. This is simply you got money to compete or you don’t. Right now we have NO IDEA if we do. We came in 5th this year in the A10 lead by a star player that is likely gone. We just lost another key player on the team. We have no idea right now if things will be fine. There’s schools in mid majors that will likely bankrupt their programs trying to compete. This isn’t like where you lose a player and we just show off our sweet facilities. Players want the bag. We don’t even know what kind of bag we have. I would guess if we had that kind of bag we hope we don’t lose a player today.

Unfortunately I think it’s going to ramp up a bit from here. Many P5 schools saw what others are paying, and upped their collective budgets substantially. VA is passing a law that allows athletic funds to be used for NIL, I would venture to bet other states will follow suit. The needle will settle, but it’s got some bouncing off the limiter to do first.

*I am not a doomsday of college sports btw. VCU has been a top 50-75 program and I’ll put a round of drinks on it that VCU will continue to be a top 50-75 program moving forward.
Might want to read Ryan’s post on Twitter. He said he expects it to get absolutely awful before it gets better. Considering how intertwined he is with athletic people I think that says a lot.

All of the$e Portal Tran$action$ turning College Sports into a continual game of Monopoly.

Last edited:
Sorry but basis can we say that anymore? It was one thing going through coaching changes. This is totally different. This is simply you got money to compete or you don’t. Right now we have NO IDEA if we do. We came in 5th this year in the A10 lead by a star player that is likely gone. We just lost another key player on the team. We have no idea right now if things will be fine. There’s schools in mid majors that will likely bankrupt their programs trying to compete. This isn’t like where you lose a player and we just show off our sweet facilities. Players want the bag. We don’t even know what kind of bag we have. I would guess if we had that kind of bag we hope we don’t lose a player today.
I can confidently say our collective budget is competitive at our level (A10. Top 50-75ish program).

We used to lose recruits to P5s all the time. Only difference is the recruits are current players.

Adapt or die, and I don’t see VCU dying anytime soon

Unfortunately I think it’s going to ramp up a bit from here. Many P5 schools saw what others are paying, and upped their collective budgets substantially. VA is passing a law that allows athletic funds to be used for NIL, I would venture to bet other states will follow suit. The needle will settle, but it’s got some bouncing off the limiter to do first.

*I am not a doomsday of college sports btw. VCU has been a top 50-75 program and I’ll put a round of drinks on it that VCU will continue to be a top 50-75 program moving forward.
I definitely think it ramps up for football because the payout is so huge. Bball doesn’t have the media deals to make too much more of an investment in my opinion, It’s another reason I am glad we dont have football. Imagine if you are an ODU and even a JMU

I definitely think it ramps up for football because the payout is so huge. Bball doesn’t have the media deals to make too much more of an investment in my opinion, It’s another reason I am glad we dont have football. Imagine if you are an ODU and even a JMU
Media deals are by conference though right?

You are not wrong about it being a blessing we don’t have to support football though. Lots of mouths to feed there 😵‍💫

This player is best friend with the coach’s son and grew up right next to the university according to SMU fans. It just shows no one is safe.

100% agree. We rolled on after Santos-Silva left. We rolled on after Ward left and we’ll Roll on after Tobi leaves.

The secret sauce has and always will be VCU.
You very well might be on to something here, maybe not being able to keep bigs around is what's helping us.

"This isn’t like where you lose a player and we just show off our sweet facilities."

Good point. Not sure how much the facilities matter anymore. It's now a pure and simple bidding war.

Speaking of the portal and visits. What happened with Brickus? It was practically a done deal a few days ago.

You think the P5s are paying 10th-12th bench guys the same as we are paying potential starters?
yep

JMU makes money on their football program and they also have a lot of boosters because of it bringing in NIL monies. The P5 programs bring in tons of money from their programs and boosters will support their NIL for both basketball and football. Even for the likes of Kansas who spent 4 million.

"This isn’t like where you lose a player and we just show off our sweet facilities."

Good point. Not sure how much the facilities matter anymore. It's now a pure and simple bidding war.
Checks clear all the same regardless of if you are in the BDC or picked up in a van before the game.

Back