News VCU Athletic Village

Why are they building a new arts center. I thought they have a big building on Broad St. in addition of the arts museum on Broad and Boulevard. Whatever happened to the Pollack building BTW....did they tear that down?
Pollack is still there and in heavy use, our ART school is one of the best in the country and it is past time for a new state of the "art" building. The other building that is across Belvidere is the Institute for Contemporary Art and this new one will be Arts and Innovation. It will be interesting to see what happens to Pollack, I imagine it will continue to be used and updated. ( space for construction is coveted though)

Pollack is still there and in heavy use, our ART school is one of the best in the country and it is past time for a new state of the "art" building. The other building that is across Belvidere is the Institute for Contemporary Art and this new one will be Arts and Innovation. It will be interesting to see what happens to Pollack, I imagine it will continue to be used and updated. ( space for construction is coveted though)
But isn't there also an art building along Broad Street? Perhaps I am incorrect

Yeah, that is it......sounded like an art building to me
I think the Arts & Innovation building will be more for the technological stuff (I saw that kinetic imaging would be moving there), and they would partner with Engineering and Computer Science... more commercial and vocational in orientation than the more fine arts stuff in DePillars.

I think the Arts & Innovation building will be more for the technological stuff (I saw that kinetic imaging would be moving there), and they would partner with Engineering and Computer Science... more commercial and vocational in orientation than the more fine arts stuff in DePillars.
I would've thought engineering was tailor made for DePillars

I would've thought engineering was tailor made for DePillars
If memory serves, the old "fireproof storage" building that used to be at Belvidere and Main (maybe still is but retrofitted?) was once upon a time slated to be transformed into a new home for the core fine arts visual arts programs... I think there was even a specific bonding bill.. but Trani then high jacked it to jumpstart the Engineering school, and delayed the new art building nearly a decade.

Not sure if anyone else read the article on the new baseball stadium today in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, but Ed and VCU have been thrown a curve ball by the City of Richmond's decision not to buy Sports Backer Stadium from VCU at this time. They were supposed to pay VCU I think $27 million for Sports Backer Stadium within the next year, which VCU was planning to use to complete Phase 1 of the Athletics Village. The City of Richmond is now redirecting those funds to building the baseball stadium in order to comply with Major League Baseball timelines. Ed has stated VCU cannot move forward with the Athletics Village without those funds. The City of Richmond is also saying it now may be several years before they purchase Sports Backers Stadium. And there was never a written agreement in place between the City of Richmond and VCU for the City of Richmond to purchase Sports Backers Stadium. FYI - The property is assessed at a little over $7 million, which means VCU probably could not sell the property for anywhere close to what the City of Richmond was willing to pay them.

So, it looks like for the time being, the Athletics Village is dead in the water as a big chunk of the funding has now gone away for the un-foreseeable future. What a giant $h!t show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if anyone else read the article on the new baseball stadium today in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, but Ed and VCU have been thrown a curve ball by the City of Richmond's decision not to buy Sports Backer Stadium from VCU at this time. They were supposed to pay VCU I think $27 million for Sports Backer Stadium within the next year, which VCU was planning to use to complete Phase 1 of the Athletics Village. The City of Richmond is now redirecting those funds to building the baseball stadium in order to comply with Major League Baseball timelines. Ed has stated VCU cannot move forward with the Athletics Village without those funds. The City of Richmond is also saying it now may be several years before they purchase Sports Backers Stadium. And there was never a written agreement in place between the City of Richmond and VCU for the City of Richmond to purchase Sports Backers Stadium. FYI - The property is assessed at a little over $7 million, which means VCU probably could not sell the property for anywhere close to what the City of Richmond was willing to pay them.

So, it looks like for the time being, the Athletics Village is dead in the water as a big chunk of the funding has now gone away for the un-foreseeable future. What a giant $h!t show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw it. Leave it to the city.

Leave it to the city to screw us over once again.

Leave it to the city to screw us over once again.

As stated above, this is also on VCU for not getting a written contract from the city to buy the property. Ed was making a LOT of decisions on good faith with a partner that is totally not dependable on following through on ANYTHING!

I mean I guess. I think VCU has done enough for the city to not get F'd over though.

VCU obviously knows the Devil they are dealing with. They agreed on a price and no contract????????????? Especially with the City of Richmond!!!

Back