Recruiting VCU Recruiting

One 2025 recruit I think we should be targeting is Troy Henderson out of Lancaster HS. 6'1 combo guard that can absolutely light up the scoreboard. Back to back 1st Team All State and '23 State POY (will likely get both honors again this year), dropped 30 in the state championship last season, eclipsed 1K points as a sophomore and broke the school's all time scoring record last week. Officiated his game over the weekend and the opposing team played a box and 1 on him and his man was face guarding him full court... that should tell you something lol

He plays for Team Loaded and has offers from Radford, Ohio, College of Charleston and Mount St Mary's. IMO he's flying significantly under the radar because Lancaster is only a 1A school, but he moves like and has the build to be a mid major guard
Glad you brought up Troy. I grew-up on the Northern Neck in Kilmarnock, Virginia and graduated from Lancaster High School. Although I no longer reside there I have family there all of whom went to LHS. I agree that Troy is an outstanding talent. He is very explosive, has a nice perimeter game and is a true combo guard having played quite a bit at the point in his career. As you stated he is flying substantially under the radar since LHS is a 1A school. If he were playing in a higher classification or at a quality prep school his recruitment would look quite different. In my mind one of the most challenging things in the recruiting world is trying to ascertain how a high scoring, talented, and skilled player will translate at the next level when they have played their career in a rural environment at the 1A level or equivalent. His play with Team Loaded hopefully can help answer that. It certainly worked for B.A. Walker who I think played at the 2A level on the Eastern Shore. Cal Bowlder(sp) who hailed from Tappahanock not far from LHS became a star at ODU and made it to the NBA.

Did you officiate his recent game against Colonial Beach where he put-up 40 points and hit 5/6 treys? I also like the fact that he has played football and is supposedly a very tough kid. His brother Tyson I believe also plays at LHS. Like you said, the way Troy is playing he will likely repeat as the 1A POY. A good prospect to keep an eye on.

That model -- high scoring guard against low level competition fits the PJ Byrd profile, which is scary.

That model -- high scoring guard against low level competition fits the PJ Byrd profile, which is scary.
His AAU ball should tell more of the story.

Al though the school was a little bigger, it also fits the model of Ja Morant. That might turn out pretty well.

Did you officiate his recent game against Colonial Beach where he put-up 40 points and hit 5/6 treys? I also like the fact that he has played football and is supposedly a very tough kid. His brother Tyson I believe also plays at LHS.
No I had their game against Northumberland. Like I said, the full court box and 1 made it tough, but he probably ended up with 20 between FT's, transition buckets and some scoring in the half court.

Yes, Tyson graduated last year and now plays at CNU.
IMO the eye test between the two is VERY different. To me PJ's skillset was basically a less athletic Johnny Williams, and Johnny was strong as he11, which made up for being undersized. PJ wasn't a great scorer and had a pretty limited dribble package, relative to what I'd expect out of a VCU commit. It was clear to me he was dominating games bc he was just quicker than everybody at the HS level, but wasn't Johnny or JLew, elite level, quick. I guess hindsight is 20/20 though lol

Anyway, when I watch players my thought process is "will this translate at the next level?" vs. them just dominating the game. To me, Henderson has a skillset that will translate. He has solid shot mechanics, the ability to get to his spots, can create space with creative gathers/step backs and most importantly stay on balance when doing it. I think he's going to rise to whatever level of talent is around him. If he stays under the radar a goes to Radford or something, don't be surprised if by the end of his sophomore year he's in the portal going a P5 program

tumblr_py5btkZ3ny1y5oerwo1_400.gif

Back