Recruiting VCU Recruiting

Who was visiting today? (IN blue. Took a quick snapshot, he's at least 6'10" imho.
IMG-5459.jpg
I heard there were 4 recruits there today. Don't know who any of them are

Good to see we made a very positive impression. Although a 2026 prospect, and not yet ranked, Justin is a young big really starting to blossom. He plays both football and basketball at Trinity. He averaged over 12ppg. as a Frosh and is up over 17ppg. thus far this year. He is also a very good rebounder. In all probability he will end up at least 6'10 or so. Good to get on him early. Perhaps Eric Maynor can help us down there in Fayetteville.

With respect to recruiting for 2024 my best guess is that we will focus more on player retention and cherry picking the portal as opposed to going hard for preps. It appears the prep focus is more on 2025 and beyond. This is understandable because to recruit successfully in the top 150 category the staff needs time to build relationships with coaches, kids, and their families. That said, there will always be kids that decommit or that blow-up during the late signing period. I also believe this staff will remain active with International Prospects. Right now we need continuity so player retention will be extremely important.

What has transpired the last couple of games reinforces my opinion that while the Portal will be important moving forward it will never replace the importance of recruiting prep prospects and developing them within your programs culture. This process takes time. You can't circumvent the process. A good healthy mix of quality prep prospects along with some Portal guys will likely produce a winning product. I also believe recruiting internationally is important for VCU moving forward.

Ryan had no choice in terms of recruiting for 2023. He had to build a team and fast. I also believe he will rely heavily on the Portal again for 2024 simply because it takes time for a new staff to build relationships with kids, their families, and coaching staffs. That said, we really need to hit the ground running for prep players in 2025 and beyond. There is a lot of local, state, and regional talent for 2025. We need to harvest our fair share of that talent.

You forgot the next two steps - It's harvest the talent (you got that), then it's develop their craft, and then watch them go to the team with the biggest check book.

I hear you. In the age of NIL and Free Agency the potential to lose kids that you develop is substantially greater. There is not yet enough empirical evidence to suggest it will be automatic however. Not only are the quality non P-5's developing NIL cooperatives but it must be remembered that the quality Portal kids are commanding significant NIL deals particularly when a school believes they can come right in and be a major contributor. NIL is very much a part of the Portal as it is with prep players. There were top 150 players this past year that got little or no money. Top 50/75 - forget it. Top 100-150 - doable.

One 2025 recruit I think we should be targeting is Troy Henderson out of Lancaster HS. 6'1 combo guard that can absolutely light up the scoreboard. Back to back 1st Team All State and '23 State POY (will likely get both honors again this year), dropped 30 in the state championship last season, eclipsed 1K points as a sophomore and broke the school's all time scoring record last week. Officiated his game over the weekend and the opposing team played a box and 1 on him and his man was face guarding him full court... that should tell you something lol

He plays for Team Loaded and has offers from Radford, Ohio, College of Charleston and Mount St Mary's. IMO he's flying significantly under the radar because Lancaster is only a 1A school, but he moves like and has the build to be a mid major guard

Back