Recruiting 2024 Offers

Yeah I didn't say this can't work. May turn out great. He's the pro; I am just a schmo. Kudos to him if he pulls it off. I'll be rooting for him.

But I think the evidence suggests strongly that this is precisely what he's doing. We are done with HS kids for the most part.

My personal opinion is that refilling your roster each year with mercenaries from the portal is a less enjoyable process for fans than developing long term relationships with 3 or 4 year players. I like seeing them grow from no-nothing kids into smart and polished players and young men. I liked watching Ro Lamb, Eric Maynor, and Vince Williams. Guys like Shriver can be fun too, but the attachment isn't the same.

I recognize that this may suggest the days of home milk deliveries and black and white TV, but I'm old and this is my lawn.
I too would love the four year player but I strongly believe that is now the exception instead of the rule. Best shot at a 4 year player that is from the Metro area or surrounding counties. That being the case, I prefer to benefit from a kids last two rather than his first two. Let’s take say Nick Kern for example. I loved his first two at VCU and I am going to root for him no matter where the journey takes him but man I think these next two in an RO system would have been something to behold. Yes I know a coaching change factored into his decision but even without a change at minimum 3 and possibly up to 5 were on the move 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I didn't say this can't work. May turn out great. He's the pro; I am just a schmo. Kudos to him if he pulls it off. I'll be rooting for him.

But I think the evidence suggests strongly that this is precisely what he's doing. We are done with HS kids for the most part.

My personal opinion is that refilling your roster each year with mercenaries from the portal is a less enjoyable process for fans than developing long term relationships with 3 or 4 year players. I like seeing them grow from no-nothing kids into smart and polished players and young men. I liked watching Ro Lamb, Eric Maynor, and Vince Williams. Guys like Shriver can be fun too, but the attachment isn't the same.

I recognize that this may suggest the days of home milk deliveries and black and white TV, but I'm old and this is my lawn.

A team of transfer mercenaries sounds better than watching a player develop for two years just to see them take their talents to a P6 school. We, unfortunately, don't have the funds to match NIL offers up the chain.

A team of transfer mercenaries sounds better than watching a player develop for two years just to see them take their talents to a P6 school. We, unfortunately, don't have the funds to match NIL offers up the chain.
Sorry, no, I don't agree. ODU just signed a 4* wing. Richmond signed 2 three stars.

I also can't be sure that funds are not out there to compete; we haven't tried a professional, competent fundraising effort. Might not work but we haven't tried.

This path is Odom's choice. I am rooting for him to succeed.

Someone mentioned international players. If we get 4 year players they just might be from Richmond, UK like Belle.

Some combination of internationals, a few locals high school players and portal players. If you run a system that takes 2 years to really learn that would be difficult. Most don't do that now, so this could be as good a way as any to build a good team.

If putting together this years team with a lot working against him is any indication, Odom may very well be up to the job.

So, question. Is RO. Just super good at recruiting in secret. Why would RO, Theus, and Ferm be ay Bookbinders last night with atleast 1 or more unknown persons? The night before the B&G game 🤷‍♂️

So, question. Is RO. Just super good at recruiting in secret. Why would RO, Theus, and Ferm be ay Bookbinders last night with atleast 1 or more unknown persons? The night before the B&G game 🤷‍♂️
Haven't seen any news on the St. Chris kid committing yet unless I missed it.

Sorry, no, I don't agree. ODU just signed a 4* wing. Richmond signed 2 three stars.

I also can't be sure that funds are not out there to compete; we haven't tried a professional, competent fundraising effort. Might not work but we haven't tried.

what does your first point have to do with the fact that good freshman and sophomores will likely hit the portal and move up?

Sadly, I agree on your second point. Havoc Unlimited was rushed to the market and seemingly forgotten about.

what does your first point have to do with the fact that good freshman and sophomores will likely hit the portal and move up?

Sadly, I agree on your second point. Havoc Unlimited was rushed to the market and seemingly forgotten about.
I must have misunderstood your point. I think that even in this era, we can compete for high level HS kids, which I understood you to be doubting. My bad.

BTW, there were web hints last night that we may actually have a visitor this weekend. I hope so, and I hope it proves I've been misreading the clues.

ODU just signed another big recruit who chose them over Dayton, LSU, GT, VT and others. Looks like Coach Brooks was the lead on Lathan and Diggs, who I'm assume you're referring to

So looks like he is keeping up his recruiting strategy of only getting guys from the 804 or outside the country.

Right now we have what Bairstow and Kuany leaving plus 2 or 3 scholarships open? I know at least one will also probably leave just trying to figure out the number of spaces we are guaranteed to have open.

So looks like he is keeping up his recruiting strategy of only getting guys from the 804 or outside the country.

Right now we have what Bairstow and Kuany leaving plus 2 or 3 scholarships open? I know at least one will also probably leave just trying to figure out the number of spaces we are guaranteed to have open.
we currently have 12 players on scholarship. Bairstow and Kuany will vacate the premises leaving 10. Zeb is a redshirt Senior and can come back if he chooses to do so. Assuming he does for these purposes (I have no info one way or another), incoming Jennings (assuming) would make 11. 2 to fill if no one else leaves (and someone almost certainly will).

Back