Recruiting 2024 Offers

we currently have 12 players on scholarship. Bairstow and Kuany will vacate the premises leaving 10. Zeb is a redshirt Senior and can come back if he chooses to do so. Assuming he does for these purposes (I have no info one way or another), incoming Jennings (assuming) would make 11. 2 to fill if no one else leaves (and someone almost certainly will).
Zeb never redshirted. He is a fourth year senior. He has a COVID year should he choose to use it. We THINK we have 12 players under scholarship right now. There were rumors that they gave a scholly to Okafor, but I don't recall hearing an official announcement about it.

Zeb never redshirted. He is a fourth year senior. He has a COVID year should he choose to use it. We THINK we have 12 players under scholarship right now. There were rumors that they gave a scholly to Okafor, but I don't recall hearing an official announcement about it.
He is under scholarship. I looked it up after Mollen's comment to see who had the 12th scholarsh9p https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/obinnaya-okafor/4816

"Joined team as a walk-on in 2022-23. Received a scholarship ahead of the 2023-24 campaign "

ODU just signed another big recruit who chose them over Dayton, LSU, GT, VT and others. Looks like Coach Brooks was the lead on Lathan and Diggs, who I'm assume you're referring to

ODU now has commitments from 3-national recruits. Caden Diggs from the Bullis School in Potomac, Md. is ranked #139, Ethan Lathan from Chandler, Az., a 6'10" big, is ranked #116, and Deion Ware from Montverde Academy is ranked #241. This will arguably be their best recruiting year ever on paper and this is taking place in the Sunbelt Conference. Obviously, you can still successfully recruit top level high school kids. Many of the prospects in the top 100-250 receive very modest NIL. Let's not forget that the majority of the TOP portal players get quite a bit of NIL. The P5's are looking at guys ready to have an impact from day one and are willing to pay the top portal guys.

What's changed at ODU? Coach Brooks is the answer.

We got ourselves a prediction

Let's hope the prediction comes to fruition. There is a lot to like about Brandon. Besides being 6'3"/6'4" he reportedly has a 7'2" reach, has a good handle and can really score the ball. He also has a high basketball IQ and has over a 4.0 cumulative GPA. As reported earlier his mother has both a BA and Master's from VCU and values her VCU Education very highly. Brandon looks poised for a big year at St. Christophers and is on the move. He is now rated the #35 PG prospect by 247sports having moved up recently.

With respect to VCU's overall recruiting strategy for 2024 I still think we will ink a couple of freshmen, perhaps one being International, and then rely on the portal. It appears there is a more substantial focus on preps for 2025. This is understandable since the guys came from out west and got a late start. Guys like Chance Mallory, Silas Barksdale, Adlan Elamin and others are looking at VCU for 2025. Very high quality prospects. Mallory is likely a UVA future commit but I could certainly see Barksdale here. At 6'8'/6'9" he is just outside the top 100.

So looks like he is keeping up his recruiting strategy of only getting guys from the 804 or outside the country.

Right now we have what Bairstow and Kuany leaving plus 2 or 3 scholarships open? I know at least one will also probably leave just trying to figure out the number of spaces we are guaranteed to have open.
With NIL being what it is. This is the best strategy to employ. Mixed in one or two portal guys and we have a strategy that keeps us competitive

Let's hope the prediction comes to fruition. There is a lot to like about Brandon. Besides being 6'3"/6'4" he reportedly has a 7'2" reach, has a good handle and can really score the ball. He also has a high basketball IQ and has over a 4.0 cumulative GPA. As reported earlier his mother has both a BA and Master's from VCU and values her VCU Education very highly. Brandon looks poised for a big year at St. Christophers and is on the move. He is now rated the #35 PG prospect by 247sports having moved up recently.

With respect to VCU's overall recruiting strategy for 2024 I still think we will ink a couple of freshmen, perhaps one being International, and then rely on the portal. It appears there is a more substantial focus on preps for 2025. This is understandable since the guys came from out west and got a late start. Guys like Chance Mallory, Silas Barksdale, Adlan Elamin and others are looking at VCU for 2025. Very high quality prospects. Mallory is likely a UVA future commit but I could certainly see Barksdale here. At 6'8'/6'9" he is just outside the top 100.

When's the last time we had this much local talent at VCU? Before the year 2000?

When's the last time we had this much local talent at VCU? Before the year 2000?
I guess everything is circular. I remember when VCU/Caazoners were complaining that they wanted the coaches to look far and wide for the best available talent.....to stop being so regional and/or local with their recruiting.
But it also depends, if we can get the top talent that we need and want from locals, then so be it (as long as we don't limit ourselves). And in today's NIL and free agent world of basketball, local recruits can help to drive our NIL efforts as well as ticket purchases....and even basketball camps. It might even help with funding the athletic village. Local/regional companies like programs that take in local recruits especially if the programs continue to shine at the national level.

Well, it can't be an opinion because this is a question of fact. He either has or hasn't. I may be right or wrong, but I can't have an "opinion" about it, like "mayonnaise is gross." Maybe conjecture is the word you are looking for.

Odom and I don't speak, so let's call it a conclusion based on careful observation. How many HS visits have we had since he arrived? How many offers has he made for 2024 or 25? How many cut lists have we made? Have you discerned any HS recruiting activity this summer? Has this ever happened at VCU in the last, say, 20 years?

Let's put it this way: either he has given up on recruiting HS kids, or he is trying to recruit them and just sucks at it. Neither is comforting, but the evidence points to the former and personally I'd prefer to think that's the case.
We recently offered Adlan Elamin, a 6-7 small forward from Paul VI HS. 2025 recruit. 4 star prospect. #3 in the State of VA & #69 in the country. He hasn't taken any visits yet. We are strongly pursuing PG Brandon Jennings from St Christopher's HS. 2024 recruit. Visited recently. We also recently offered Silas Barkdale, 6-8 center from Woodside HS in Norfolk. He is the 9th ranked prospect in the State for 2025. We have also offered Chance Mallory - PG from St Anne's Belfield in Cville. Ranked #5 in the state & #88 in the country. We have also begun pursuing Marcus Jackson - JM 2025 - 6-7 PF recently. #7 in VA and #106 in the country. In case you can't tell, VA is absolutely loaded with HS & post grad talent for both 2024 & 2025.

Back