23-24 Opponent Tracking Thread

lol I’m always amazed there is an entire cottage industry of people that sell these announcement graphics. How hard is it for a HS kid to photoshop a few logos onto a picture of himself???
Photoshop skill was not the issue here.

an in state buy game is better than an out of state one🤷
why? other than Radford alumni close to Richmond or in Richmond getting to see their school play without traveling I see nothing good in it for VCU fans - just another Tier 4 game that does nothing for our OOC resume
the few extra dollars in ticket revenue are peanuts in the scheme of things
also we played them last year - why not play Liberty a Tier 2 game likely or Longwood (a bit closer geographically for their fans)

IMHO it is fine to have 3 Tier 4 games in OOC as part of getting our team up to speed and creating chemistry
(We likely have 2 now with High Point, Radford and possibly a 3rd with Temple (Temple has lost the core of their team to either graduation or the Portal and have an unproven new head coach , a former assistant at PED state) they may struggle to get to the 160 mark in the NET to beat Tier 4 cutoff

I hope to see some Tier 2 schools besides Memphis (possibly Tier 1) on our home OOC or neutral court game/s (recognize it is tough to get Tier 1 OOC at Siegel center unless it is UVA) I am expecting Memphis to be borderline Tier 1/2 game this year (I think they will not be as good as last year but still top 3 in their AAC conference )

Likely got two Tier 1 games in that early season tourney which helps our resume

I will scream if we play a D 3 school !!!!!!!!

go Rams and coach Odom

Last edited:
I hope to see some Tier 2 schools besides Memphis (possibly Tier 1) on our home OOC or neutral court game/s (recognize it is tough to get Tier 1 OOC at Siegel center unless it is UVA) I am expecting Memphis to be borderline Tier 1/2 game this year (I think they will not be as good as last year but still top 3 in their AAC conference with Houston)
Houston has moved on to the Big 12, so Memphis will have less competition for the top of the AAC, but also will lose a couple of opportunities for quality wins.

Houston has moved on to the Big 12, so Memphis will have less competition for the top of the AAC, but also will lose a couple of opportunities for quality wins.
Is that happening this season? I thought it wasn't til 2024? Jw

I was told by someone who schedules OOC events and is close with Houston that the game is not happening
Ok... the comment you quoted actually had nothing to do with us playing Houston... but more so Houston's move to the Big 12. I thought that wasn't til the 2024-25 season... which would mean Houston would still play Memphis & Temple this upcoming season. That's what my question was pertaining to.

Ok... the comment you quoted actually had nothing to do with us playing Houston... but more so Houston's move to the Big 12. I thought that wasn't til the 2024-25 season... which would mean Houston would still play Memphis & Temple this upcoming season. That's what my question was pertaining to.

Oh sorry, yes, Houston, Cincy, UCF, BYU are all in the Big 12 this seasonScreenshot_20230530-122811.png

FxZGBDoaEAAPQEj

I imagine VCU will have an interesting time scheduling this year. There are a myriad of reason but a few re as follows.

• What type of offense will VCU run( I know what RO Said but has anyone seen it at VCU?)
  • What type of Defense will VCU play
  • How will VCU fair in the metrics with a total culture change
These are the type of questions that schools that are not in it jsut for a pay check have to ask themselves. I dare not say that we take the Fordham route(different situation different culture) but the team does need some feel good opportunities in the OOC

I imagine VCU will have an interesting time scheduling this year. There are a myriad of reason but a few re as follows.

• What type of offense will VCU run( I know what RO Said but has anyone seen it at VCU?)
  • What type of Defense will VCU play
  • How will VCU fair in the metrics with a total culture change
These are the type of questions that schools that are not in it jsut for a pay check have to ask themselves. I dare not say that we take the Fordham route(different situation different culture) but the team does need some feel good opportunities in the OOC
PERHAPS P6 or strong mid-majors will be more likely to schedule us now that VCU will be playing a more traditional system. It's not an original though, I know, but teams like to use the OOC to prepare for what they'll see in their conference schedule. VCU's unique style of defense wasn't likely to be on anyone's conference schedule except other A10 teams.

But, with that said, I think I understand your point about VCU being an unknown this year that teams may shy away from.

Duquesne appears to be starting a school-sanctioned NIL storefront for all of its student-athletes.

PERHAPS P6 or strong mid-majors will be more likely to schedule us now that VCU will be playing a more traditional system. It's not an original though, I know, but teams like to use the OOC to prepare for what they'll see in their conference schedule. VCU's unique style of defense wasn't likely to be on anyone's conference schedule except other A10 teams.

But, with that said, I think I understand your point about VCU being an unknown this year that teams may shy away from.
I do believe that next year the road to scheduling has a chance to be "easier" (easier in context of where we are today). I still dont see P5's lining up t come to the STU on a regular basis but as long as VCU proves this year that it can be a resume quality opponent while playing a more "conventional" style along with the Odom name in the college basketball world, we may see more opportunities make themselves available. As such I make no judgement good, bad or indifferent when the final schedule is announced this year

Back