23-24 Opponent Tracking Thread

I've been told that scheduling games in Logan was difficult because it's not easy to get to.
Could play a "neutral" non-neutral in SLC. Long way to fly, but at least it is easy to get to.

At UMBC, he might not have had a choice with the scheduling and they may have just needed an easy game or two.

At USU, the MWC was good enough to be able to handle a game like that.

Also, I’m pretty sure that D2 games don’t either help or hurt your NET. They aren’t counted. I’ve advocated before that from a NET perspective you’re probably better off playing a good D2 team than playing a really bad D1 team. And there probably isn’t much difference in the quality of the team you’d play.
really?
would you be happy with playing Shenandoah or Hood
the practice at UMBC basically stopped after Odom left (though they played Penn State -York a D2 each of the last two years), so yes it was a choice (I speculate it was because Odom played in D3 and was being a nice guy toward D3s and giving them some buy money to help their athletic programs - but that is just my guess)

you are right that a D2 or D3 game is excluded from NET - but basically the only way playing a bad D1 team really hurts you is to lose (that said when you are top 100 team in NET it doesn't help you much even to win against a bottom 100 team) - but conversely if you scheduled a top 70 NET team on the road and won - that would significantly enhance your resume and a loss would likely not hurt your resume (unless stomped) - I think you need more of these opportunities on the schedule

as a fan I would hate seeing a D2 or D3 team on our home schedule unless it was Va Union (D2) - and I have no problem playing 3 D1 schools in that bottom 150 in NET but like we have done in the past play teams that have a chance to be AQ in their conferences' (what we heard MR tried to do in scheduling with the Howards etc, that supposedly is considered if we are competing for an at -large)

games like that give us opportunity to play bench and work out kinks with starters too but I see no value in playing a D3 like Shenandoah and beating them by 40-50 points and doubt games like that put many butts in the seats that don't already have season tickets

go rams and Coach Odom and my new fave Max Shulga

I've been told that scheduling games in Logan was difficult because it's not easy to get to.
looking at schedules they played over the last 7 years it appears that could get teams all over the country to travel to Logan (nca&T, mississippi valley, valpo etc. - my guess is the guarantee they were willing to pay was not as good as the guarantees VCU pays)

but no debating that finding D1 schools that are bottom 150 in NET that schools like to intersperse in their OOC home schedules is substantially more difficult because the number of those schools is limited to Logan vs Richmond va

really?
would you be happy with playing Shenandoah or Hood
the practice at UMBC basically stopped after Odom left (though they played Penn State -York a D2 each of the last two years), so yes it was a choice (I speculate it was because Odom played in D3 and was being a nice guy toward D3s and giving them some buy money to help their athletic programs - but that is just my guess)

you are right that a D2 or D3 game is excluded from NET - but basically the only way playing a bad D1 team really hurts you is to lose (that said when you are top 100 team in NET it doesn't help you much even to win against a bottom 100 team) - but conversely if you scheduled a top 70 NET team on the road and won - that would significantly enhance your resume and a loss would likely not hurt your resume (unless stomped) - I think you need more of these opportunities on the schedule

as a fan I would hate seeing a D2 or D3 team on our home schedule unless it was Va Union (D2) - and I have no problem playing 3 D1 schools in that bottom 150 in NET but like we have done in the past play teams that have a chance to be AQ in their conferences' (what we heard MR tried to do in scheduling with the Howards etc, that supposedly is considered if we are competing for an at -large)

games like that give us opportunity to play bench and work out kinks with starters too but I see no value in playing a D3 like Shenandoah and beating them by 40-50 points and doubt games like that put many butts in the seats that don't already have season tickets

go rams and Coach Odom and my new fave Max Shulga
I want what’s best for our NET and our chances to make the tournament as an at-large. If we have to choose between a team with a NET in the low 200s or playing a D2 team, then I’m fine with playing the D2 team. We would have been better off last season playing a D2 team than Jacksonville State. I don’t want us playing several of them a year, but if we have a spot we need to fill and we’re having trouble, then I’d go with a D2 school before a really bad D1 school.

Today is the day players have to declare or bail in regards to the NBA. Dayton will find out about Holmes soon.
Well FUR just found out Burton is gone to Villanova. Tough break for the Ticks, looks like a pretty bare cupboard over at Henrico U next year.

I'd like Holmes to stay, we need Dayton to be strong if the A-10 is gonna get any better.

Well FUR just found out Burton is gone to Villanova. Tough break for the Ticks, looks like a pretty bare cupboard over at Henrico U next year.

I'd like Holmes to stay, we need Dayton to be strong if the A-10 is gonna get any better.
If Holmes does stay it will be interesting to see how Wheeler does against him. Last year it was DeLoach having to deal with him most of the time.

looking at schedules they played over the last 7 years it appears that could get teams all over the country to travel to Logan (nca&T, mississippi valley, valpo etc. - my guess is the guarantee they were willing to pay was not as good as the guarantees VCU pays)

but no debating that finding D1 schools that are bottom 150 in NET that schools like to intersperse in their OOC home schedules is substantially more difficult because the number of those schools is limited to Logan vs Richmond va
I'm telling you what the person who made their schedules told me.

I'm telling you what the person who made their schedules told me.
I have no doubt you had the info from a reliable source - curious though

ask him how much Utah st paid/offered for buy games - that is often the motivation for teams to travel to remote places to lose basketball games

last public info from a study showed in 19-20
USU paid $60k on avg for 3 buy games (paid $180k for 3 buy games)
contrast this with VCU who paid $627.5K for 7 buy games in 19-20 (avg $89.6k per game)

same year Univ. of Utah paid $290k for 3 buy games in SLC (Avg. $96.7k per game)
Gonzaga paid nearly $90k/game for their buy games in Spokane then too

go rams

Last edited:

ask him how much Utah st paid/offered for buy games - that is often the motivation for teams to travel to remote places to lose basketball games

contrast this with VCU who paid $627.5K for 7 buy games in 19-20 (avg $89.6k per game)

same year Univ. of Utah paid $290k for 3 buy games in SLC (Avg. $96.7k per game)
Gonzaga paid nearly $100k/game for their buy games in Spokane then too

go rams
I love your question but I cannot see rollins walking up to coach and saying....hey coach I have this detailed question about buy games that share the ball wants answered.

I love your question but I cannot see rollins walking up to coach and saying....hey coach I have this detailed question about buy games that share the ball wants answered.

Gonzaga paid nearly $100k/game for their buy games in Spokane then too

go rams

My guess is @rollins77 got his info from Kelsey Knoche.... the current Director of Ops for us..... and was the same for Ryan Odom the last 2 years at Utah State.

I'd say that's a pretty reliable source

Back