23-24 Opponent Tracking Thread

vcu needs to get the heck out of the a10
financially is it wise? unless it is to a p6 I doubt it
don't forget a=10 has one of the most favorable NCAA tourney splits for the team that earns the money (I think the % is 70%) lots of other conferences split it equally - plus we forfeit any prior earnings that remain unpaid from units VCU earned (sort of like the million + we forfeited to the CAA when we left)

also would be an exit fee and entrance fee to new conference as well as all the costs to change

we may need a stronger commissioner to force some changes on those laggard schools but I am worried that until we have an NIL coop that can compete with P5s we may further slide in the pecking order nationally

My guess is @rollins77 got his info from Kelsey Knoche.... the current Director of Ops for us..... and was the same for Ryan Odom the last 2 years at Utah State.

I'd say that's a pretty reliable source
Yeah, but everyone who handles scheduling seems to point and sputter at excuses as to why they can't get good games. Martelli did it too. I have not seen 1 person at VCU (or any other school) admit they can do things differently to get better games. "Nobody wants play us" "Nobody will travel here" "people are afraid of our press" "Our RPI/ NET is too low" "Our RPI/ NET is too high"... the list is endless.
There is an answer to every problem. There is also an excuse. Guess which way top achievers lean in to?

Last edited:
It's not like we can just do that.
financially is it wise? unless it is to a p6 I doubt it
don't forget a=10 has one of the most favorable NCAA tourney splits for the team that earns the money (I think the % is 70%) lots of other conferences split it equally - plus we forfeit any prior earnings that remain unpaid from units VCU earned (sort of like the million + we forfeited to the CAA when we left)

also would be an exit fee and entrance fee to new conference as well as all the costs to change

we may need a stronger commissioner to force some changes on those laggard schools but I am worried that until we have an NIL coop that can compete with P5s we may further slide in the pecking order nationally
how long are we locked in until?

how long are we locked in until?
ncaa tourney revenues to the conferences and then from the conference to their teams are distributed for the Subsequent six years after you earn them
we earned a credit in 20-21 and one in 22-23 the first credit earned under MR is almost paid out completely
exit fees are always do as well as entrance fees into new conference

other than that VCU can leave anytime it wants to - IMHO they would be crazy to do it except to Big East and I think that possibility is exceptionally limited

a10 is good for VCU and other than Big East I don't see a better situation until the full fallout from AAC, and Big 12 and Pac 12 plays out and possibly ACC schools find a way around the media rights losses they would incur if they left or how to break that part of bylaws (if that is where the media rights grants is governed)

throwing our lot with football playing schools will always relegate us to a lower status within that conference since football money is so much more important than basketball money and larger

ncaa tourney revenues to the conferences and then from the conference to their teams are distributed for the Subsequent six years after you earn them
we earned a credit in 20-21 and one in 22-23 the first credit earned under MR is almost paid out completely
exit fees are always do as well as entrance fees into new conference

other than that VCU can leave anytime it wants to - IMHO they would be crazy to do it except to Big East and I think that possibility is exceptionally limited

a10 is good for VCU and other than Big East I don't see a better situation until the full fallout from AAC, and Big 12 and Pac 12 plays out and possibly ACC schools find a way around the media rights losses they would incur if they left or how to break that part of bylaws (if that is where the media rights grants is governed)

throwing our lot with football playing schools will always relegate us to a lower status within that conference since football money is so much more important than basketball money and larger
Correct. In short, VCU is in an unfortunate situation. We're all dying to move up a notch. We have programs (not just basketball) that are good enough to compete at the next level, but other than ONE P6 conference, there isn't a logical place for us to go since we don't have football. Unless that one P6 conference, the Big East, decides they want us, we're kind of stuck with the A10.

Maybe OOC scheduling would be easier as an independent?

He'd fit with the two beanpole Spaniards at Pitt.

Back