Allen Payne - Visiting on 9/26 & VCU leads his recruiting

bighorn said:
But, Chill, you're dismissing Calhoun's national reputation as being an elite developer of big men ... Travis Knight, Emeka Okafor, Hasheem Thabeet, Donyell Marshall, Josh Boone, Cliff Robinson, Jake Voskuhl ... just to name a few in recent memory. All in all, Stoors doesn't seem to be too bad landing spot for guys 6-9 and up. Every school has a few failures, even UConn.

I know Ed Davis narrowed his Final Two to UNC and UConn, mainly because of father Terry Davis' respect for the Huskies' sideline boss.

bighorn said:
I'll produce the answer tomorrow, guys - I have the stats at hand. Right now I've just returned from a night of softball and there are other things on my mind. I apologize for any inconvenience.

districtballer said:
That said, Shaka is a new coach and sometimes players don't fit certain coaches plans. We've already seen this when Ndongo left the program. We really won't know until this month shakes out as far as who is commiting to us.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Gerard Smith? Did he transfer as well? I guess he's gone since Theus took his number...Also, I thought Myk Brown showed potential his freshman year, I remember him being the one (next to Larry) who stuck out to me when introducing the freshman at Ram Madness in 2007-2008. I guess things didn't work out so well for him, though I wish things had gone differently for Lance Kearse. He could have been a great player for VCU (especially after his performance against UAB in the NIT) had he not had his health issues. I hope we get some good production out of this year's freshmen, and hopefully with a constant press they will all get adequate playing time.

I believe he is still at VCU just not on the team this year. He was a walk on player who I believe was a pre med major. It is a big time commitment for a walk on who is seeing very limited minutes.

i will miss screaming "SHOOT IT!" at Gerard Smith every time he touches the ball

Any word on how Skeen is doing in the classroom? I understand there may still be issues there.

Wolfpack Ram said:
Any word on how Skeen is doing in the classroom? I understand there may still be issues there.

Skeen's academic issues have been overstated (his purported 0.4 GPA is a complete lie). That said, he's not a great student. He's on top of things...but it takes a lot of work for him. So far, so good.

Mistachill said:
http://www.ohshoops.com/

Allen Payne (6'6/2010) wing forward of Cincinnati Winton Woods received an offer from Auburn.

He will be visiting Auburn on October 15th.

Gotta assume he's off the table now with the McCarter verbal.

Sounds like it and he moved his visit up 2 weeks with Auburn

Wonder if there's a connection between Payne's visit and McCarter pulling the trigger now?

You gotta hop on the train, otherwise you might get left at the station.

Mistachill said:
Wonder if there's a connection between Payne's visit and McCarter pulling the trigger now?
maybe the staff basically had mccarter in their back pocket and brought payne in for a comparison and when they decided reco was the one they wanted the trigger was pulled and payne then decided to push on auburn.

Looks like Allen Payne and Reco McCarter are clones (6'6, 190 vs. 6'7, 190). Payne was a 90 on ESPN, McCarter is a 91. Both Rivals 3-stars, but Reco is more highly regarded by scout. From an offers standpoint, it seems like Reco has Payne beat. If you look at it objectively, I think we got the best player of the two, which is great!

Now if we can get Basabe or Bradley...this would be an unreal recruiting class. It's already a heck of one just based off of Reco. This kid could play in the ACC if he wanted to.

Any more lefties and we'll be looking like Mason's team...I think there's five or six lefties on their squad these days

Payne still considers VCU as his first choice....

Allen Payne (6'6/2010) wing forward of Cincinnati Winton Woods still says Virginia Commonwealth is first choice despite Reco McCarter (6'6/2010) wing forward of Wayne County Day School (Goldsboro, NC) committing to VCU on Monday.

"They are still my top choice," Payne said. "They still have two open spots, but I am going to wait until after the Auburn visit to make my decision."

Payne will visit Auburn on October 15th.

http://www.ohshoops.com/

Back