Donte Williams to visit VCU this Saturday

well technically we don't have any 2010-11 scholarships to give out yet because those slots are still filled... sure, we can logically project that TJ and KP will be out of eligibility, and it's certainly logical to project a high likelihood that Larry may go pro, and statistically, it's even logical to project that there's a better than even chance that another spot will open up for as-yet unforeseen ish-happens type reasons ...but until the 10-11 school year rolls around, we won't know for sure

so in the meantime, the staff works hard to line up the best players who best fit our projected needs, and therefore be in the best possible position when whatever is going to happen actually happens

Assuming something out the blue does come up between now and next season I wonder if Hinton will get a fair shake to earn a ride since he was supposed to be a preferred walk on

I don't see how he could avoid the question after they sign their LOI.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Mistachill said:
The big mystery is the extra scholarship according to Payne and us being at the top of his list. Surprised nobody asked coach how many scholarships we have available for 2010.
I don't know that he could have or would have answered that. Officially we have zero. Larry leaving early would put us at 1, but if we do have 2 it would either have to be due to a player leaving or a former scholarship player playing as a walk on. If it was a player leaving I can't really see him commenting on that, and if it was the walk on situation that would have probably already been mentioned by now if they were planning on making it public. Either way, I would like to see Donte Williams commit this weekend. It would be good to have a big guy capable of playing center in the 2010 recruiting class. I think Skeen can hold down the middle next year, but it would be good for Williams or LaLane to get their feet wet before one of them is handed the reigns the following year.

Well yes, if we sign 4 players to LOI's then I am sure he would expect some questions. Right now we don't know if that is going to happen though. It would certainly make things interesting and could lead to a lot of speculation.

VCUBeatsduke said:
Did Payne already commit?

VCUBeatsduke

Not yet. Payne is visiting Auburn this weekend.

as of about 10 days ago we were still listed at number 1 on his list even after Reco and it was when he apparently claimed we still had 2 more scholarships which is sort where all the conjecture is coming from about us possibly recruiting 2 and not just 1 more player due to the assumption Larry is leaving. Payne seems like a real good prospect and you never want to turn away 3 star 90+ recruits, but he also seems like a clone of Reco down to the fact they are both left handed, so I am not sure he fills a need, especially with brad here as well. If we have two I would rather go after Williams and Lalanne and sure up the front court, but I certainly wouldnt be upset if a player of Payne's quality wants to come here. Also, the fact that he is so high on us and that Brandenburg already committed shows Shaka is doing an excellent job of putting down roots in Ohio where a lot of quality recruits are found.

ONPSS 6'6 sr Allen Payne Cincinnati (Winton Woods) OH., is visiting Auburn for Midnite Madness.
That also has the ability to change the list order for Payne.

At this juncture I would be extremely happy to secure ONE of the quality bigs. I'm not sure people fathom just how incredibly hard it is to get one high quality big man to commit, never mind two. I never thought we were in line for two this signing period.

If Donte is willing to commit I would take him in a heartbeat. Just a terriffic talent with a very high ceiling. We are talking about a guy with significant High-Major opportunities here!

Holy Moses is this site down for maintenance? Not a post since 9 this am? Somebody tell a lie or something! Anyone hear about or see any of the first practice?

vcu70 said:
Holy Moses is this site down for maintenance? Not a post since 9 this am? Somebody tell a lie or something! Anyone hear about or see any of the first practice?
yeah ram nation been a little slow past couple of weeks...it will rev back up when the season finally gets under way or another recruit commits.

vcu_dan said:
vcu70 wrote:

yeah ram nation been a little slow past couple of weeks...it will rev back up when the season finally gets under way or another recruit commits.

Yea, without the Nation i'll actually have to focus my time on school work :cry:

vcu_Dan, that was a funny post. I'm catching up and happy with a quiet board, no news is good news as far as i'm concerned. Two seniors, 2 signed to take their place. Another signing would lend more credence to the "Larry leaving" rumor i'm trying ignore. A small hijack concerning board activity; I'm looking forward to Nov 5 game with Union and hoping to see a scouting report of their team.

Back