Forced to be reseated in a non-reseating year????

Anyone notice Danny O'Brien tweeting photos and stating "Family". Looks like he might be leaving. Rumor is that ticket sales are down 48%. I am not surprised. Poor communication led to this.
Just looked & yeah I noticed that.... also noticed he took anything VCU related out of his bio and now it just says #TeamMcLaughlin

who would think selling basketball tickets could be so complicated.

Anyone notice Danny O'Brien tweeting photos and stating "Family". Looks like he might be leaving. Rumor is that ticket sales are down 48%. I am not surprised. Poor communication led to this.

When you factor in another NCAA tournament and the hype surrounding Odom that % is absolutely insane. All the athletic department had to do was do nothing and they'd have had a full house before the schedule was announced but apparently that was too much to ask.

Raising donation levels on some folks AND moving up the deadline in a year where inflation is hurting everyone is not smart. I am amazed at the thought process in devising this strategy. At the most, I would have done one or the other -not both.
I am sure they will sell more season tickets as the season approaches, but we still haven't established a floor to the sales situation.

who would think selling basketball tickets could be so complicated.
Someone who is troubled by their greed.

Someone who is set in their ways of how they think things should be done or has a set amount of money they are trying to accrue... etc. that they are so freaking oblivious to what's going on around them..... or don't listen to people's suggestions & take them seriously.

Or someone who just doesn't give a f**k about the people.

Not saying Ed is any of these necessarily... but if he was, that would certainly explain things.

When you factor in another NCAA tournament and the hype surrounding Odom that % is absolutely insane. All the athletic department had to do was do nothing and they'd have had a full house before the schedule was announced but apparently that was too much to ask.
until VCU consistently schedules a more rigorous out of conference home schedule or wins at an even greater rate than we have done in the past or makes it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament , i doubt we will see a demand for 4000-5000 season tickets (right now Odom has scheduled two home games Radford and High Point. Temple and Memphis state are here based upon MR era contract, though no doubt the later is one of the best teams we have scheduled at the STU so will have definitely have some buzz around it . Temple is one of those old hestoric programs that has fallen from the perches it had when Chaney was coach and before but has a new coach so could be better or worse)

The A-10 has dropped from a top 7 or 8 conference to a 10-13 conference that struggles to get that second bid to the Big Dance - add in most all VCU games are televised as well as 5-10 other games a night on most cable packages and you give lots of people reasons to stay home and save money

not sure what you mean about the "hype" surrounding Odom - every coach we hired for the last 15+ years was pretty much in the same position as Odom - taking over a top 10 mid major in the country that invests a lot of coin in their flagship mens basketball program. only major difference is because of the turnover in head coaches and ease of transfers Odom's new roster will mean we have mostly all new faces on the court (while I think Odom restodcked with a very good mix of players to play the offensive style of basketball he played at UMBC and Utah State only time will tell if this results in better records and a team that can move beyond the first game of the NCAA tourney) I have my hopes it will

go rams and coach odom

raising donation levels on some folks AND moving up the deadline in a year where inflation is hurting everyone is not smart. i am amazed at the thought process in devising this strategy. At the most, I would have done one or the other -not both.
Personally... I would not have done either. What I would've done is leave things the way they were for the 23-24 season.... not worry about reseating people right away (since there's a reseating next year anyway), and certainly not change deadlines unexpectedly with little to no notice.

Then, state something saying that following the 23-24 Mens Basketball season... season ticket renewals & RAF donations will now be done simultaneously the renewal date will be June 2nd (or whenever in june)..... so that people can be ready for it & budget their money accordingly.

I'm sure if the Staff did that.... none of us would b***h or complain about it because at least they gave us plenty of notice.

Anyone who did not see this train going off the tracks either has had their head stuck in the sand or are still drinking the Kool Aid Ed's providing them in the Tommy West Club. VCU fans are at their tipping point with this athletic administration, and I can't see Ed ever changing his ways. He's had way too many opportunities to change his ways from past mistakes and keeps making the same mistakes/bad decisions going forward. Something has to give going forward or the athletic programs at VCU are in big trouble.

Can someone please find him another job at a different school not named VCU!!!

Anyone who did not see this train going off the tracks either has had their head stuck in the sand or are still drinking the Kool Aid Ed's providing them in the Tommy West Club. VCU fans are at their tipping point with this athletic administration, and I can't see Ed ever changing his ways. He's had way too many opportunities to change his ways from past mistakes and keeps making the same mistakes/bad decisions going forward. Something has to give going forward or the athletic programs at VCU are in big trouble.

Agreed. The writing's been on the wall ever since they tried to reseat everyone a year early, fresh off the pandemic, promising "the opportunity for better seats" It's a shame, really.

Someone who is troubled by their greed.

Someone who is set in their ways of how they think things should be done or has a set amount of money they are trying to accrue... etc. that they are so freaking oblivious to what's going on around them..... or don't listen to people's suggestions & take them seriously.

Or someone who just doesn't give a f**k about the people.

Not saying Ed is any of these necessarily... but if he was, that would certainly explain things.
I'm pretty sure you can safely say that Ed's actions say he's probably all 3 of these. By all indications, everyone in that building sees this situation as a epic failure and are in major damage control. And the only person that doesn't really see the issues is Ed. Scary when he's the one at the head of it all.

You mean like NC State?

You mean like NC State?

Trust me. NC State would not touch Ed with a 10 foot pole. It's evident you know absolutely nothing about NC State's athletic administration or the Wolfpack Club. Boo Corrigan is one of the top AD's in the country and the Wolfpack Club is probably top 10 in donor bases with well over 20,000 donors. Quite a few graduates of VCU's Sports Management program intern at NC State in either the athletic department or the Wolfpack Club because of how well both are run administratively.

Regarding Ed, he will never gain the trust of many donors back based on his actions over the last 5 years. That ship has sailed. You can keep drinking the Ed Kool Aid, but it's time for a change at VCU and a 48% decreased in season ticket sales speaks volumes for that to happen.

Trust me. NC State would not touch Ed with a 10 foot pole. It's evident you know absolutely nothing about NC State's athletic administration or the Wolfpack Club. Boo Corrigan is one of the top AD's in the country and the Wolfpack Club is probably top 10 in donor bases with well over 20,000 donors. Quite a few graduates of VCU's Sports Management program intern at NC State in either the athletic department or the Wolfpack Club because of how well both are run administratively.

Regarding Ed, he will never gain the trust of many donors back based on his actions over the last 5 years. That ship has sailed. You can keep drinking the Ed Kool Aid, but it's time for a change at VCU and a 48% decreased in season ticket sales speaks volumes for that to happen.
I heard that 48% down didnt count last week. So that number an move up significantly given many people wait to the last minute. But none the less, I have no doubt we finish down, again. We did better than Mason, and other 1 hit wonders in March Madness. But it looks like we are not going to back to the days of even coming close to selling out during season ticket renewals (especially at these prices).
So what is the answer? Dropping donation levels ? How far? Cut expenses? What this means for the programs, I have no idea. It's not good though.

Back