Recruiting Freddie Dilione

I have heard that our coaches are concerned about how NIL is going to affect recruiting and current players. Supporters in the business community? Maybe the bookstore can sell player jerseys? Not sure but right now it is not the same as P5s.
If you are not concerned for our program moving forward you are naive ..or really don’t care that much about playing at the highest level..
it is total different game now
i might be better to just send my contribution to Ace instead of donating to the program

Also with how free agency (that is what I am calling it now) is set up, it behoves a kid to go to the highest level they can. If it doesn't work out, they just enter the free agent market the next spring/summer and play immediately for someone else.

If you are not concerned for our program moving forward you are naive ..or really don’t care that much about playing at the highest level..
it is total different game now
i might be better to just send my contribution to Ace instead of donating to the program
Sadly, I think we will be witnessing a protracted, slow death of college basketball as we knew it. I’m not suggesting the previous product was perfect by any means. Higher education is a screwed up mess. Maybe it would be better to just move to a minor league model for football and basketball like MLB does, deemphasize sports, and save a ton of money. Universities can go back to focus on why they supposedly exist.

I have heard that our coaches are concerned about how NIL is going to affect recruiting and current players. Supporters in the business community? Maybe the bookstore can sell player jerseys? Not sure but right now it is not the same as P5s.
Every coach in the country is “concerned” about how NIL is going to affect recruiting and current players. I was told by someone in the AD that they felt very good about their ability to compete in the NIL environment.

But missing on a recruit that we would have missed on before NIL is a bit ridiculous. And a certain poster has to get on every thread and say we’re about to become a minor league team (as if we haven’t always been a minor league team).

Also with how free agency (that is what I am calling it now) is set up, it behoves a kid to go to the highest level they can. If it doesn't work out, they just enter the free agent market the next spring/summer and play immediately for someone else.
P6 schools still only have 13 scholarships each. And they still only have 200 minutes of playing time a game to split between their players. And half of their teams are still going to finish in the bottom half of the conference.

The world isn’t over guys. Things will settle into a new normal and VCU will be just fine.

Every coach in the country is “concerned” about how NIL is going to affect recruiting and current players. I was told by someone in the AD that they felt very good about their ability to compete in the NIL environment.

But missing on a recruit that we would have missed on before NIL is a bit ridiculous. And a certain poster has to get on every thread and say we’re about to become a minor league team (as if we haven’t always been a minor league team).
Yeah, when did you hear that? I heard recently that things are a bit worrisome when it comes to VCU. Things are different now than when NIL was first introduced. The P5s have rallied their forces.

Last edited:
If you are able and willing, this is the year to get VCU basketball tickets.

Yeah, when did you hear that? I heard recently that things are a bit worrisome when it comes to VCU. Things are different now than when NIL was first introduced. The P5s have rallied Thor forces.
I was told that a few months ago by someone in the AD. If things have changed, then they sure haven’t changed their recruiting strategy to adjust for it.

I think they’re concerned just like most coaches in the country are concerned. Things have changed dramatically for everyone over the last 2-3 years and no one knows how this will play out or how they will need to adjust. But at the end of the day, there are the same number of scholarships, the same number of minutes in a game and players on the floor, and a lot of those P5 teams are going to have awful records and miss the tournament.

Conference standings are a zero-sum game. There are going to be a lot of teams dishing out NIL and finishing 5-15 in their conference, not playing in the postseason, and watching very talented players bail on them despite their NIL money because of lack of playing time. VCU wasn’t signing those players very often to begin with. We might end up with better teams based on transfers than we were having from recruiting. I think it’s far too soon to panic or give up like some here are.

Sadly, I think we will be witnessing a protracted, slow death of college basketball as we knew it. I’m not suggesting the previous product was perfect by any means. Higher education is a screwed up mess. Maybe it would be better to just move to a minor league model for football and basketball like MLB does, deemphasize sports, and save a ton of money. Universities can go back to focus on why they supposedly exist.
Get rid of scholorship and go the Ivy League model…true student athletes

refreshing

The pieces are starting to fit.

247 has 7 crystals balls for DeShawn Harris-Smith to Maryland, the terps become less appealing to jackson (per 247's Jeff Ermann). Dilione is at Tennessee which they don't need Demary

That leaves Jackson and Demary. They played with each other on the same team at NBPA top 100 camp and steph Curry camp out in Frisco this month. They follow and talk to each other on social media. They are both heavily involved with VCU.

In Demary's Case, our main competition is Wake Forest and NC start while it's. Miami for Jackson and maybe Kansas if he takes on OV there.

Just gotta wait for DHS to formally commit to Maryland and Jackson announce his cut list

Back