Joey's game

What do you expect? Some of these knuckleheads complained about Maynor.

Good points on both sides of the fence regarding Joey's play.

Personally I think Joey is doing about all we can ask right now given the direction Shaka wants this team to go - - and that is super fast paced basketball. Inherently this style of ball is going to put the players in situations at times where they force things (and make a bad pass, rush a shot, or turn the ball over). Not to mention Joey's playing PG consistently for the first time in 2 years and is replacing a legend in the process.

One area where I would like to see the TEAM do better is getting the ball into Joey's hands late in games. Too many times (against Tulane and others) there were turnovers in which guys not named Rodriguez were handling the ball late in games. Against Tulane, Ed Nixon running the break when we had a lead and throwing the ball away was one. Late in games the PG needs the ball in his hands and he needs to be making NEARLY ALL of the pace/offensive set decisions. Joey shoots well from the FT line and he handles the ball better than anyone else on the court.

Right now, late in the game, we are rebounding, throwing a quick outlet to anyone (or the rebounder takes off running with the ball) and we shoot quickly. We then miss shots, turn the ball over and lose big leads. Late in the game it should be rebound, give it to Joey, run the offense and use 30 seconds up on each possession while you look for a good inside shoot or a chance to go to the FT line.

Rambunctious said:
Good points on both sides of the fence regarding Joey's play.

Personally I think Joey is doing about all we can ask right now given the direction Shaka wants this team to go - - and that is super fast paced basketball. Inherently this style of ball is going to put the players in situations at times where they force things (and make a bad pass, rush a shot, or turn the ball over). Not to mention Joey's playing PG consistently for the first time in 2 years and is replacing a legend in the process.

One area where I would like to see the TEAM do better is getting the ball into Joey's hands late in games. Too many times (against Tulane and others) there were turnovers in which guys not named Rodriguez were handling the ball late in games. Against Tulane, Ed Nixon running the break when we had a lead and throwing the ball away was one. Late in games the PG needs the ball in his hands and he needs to be making NEARLY ALL of the pace/offensive set decisions. Joey shoots well from the FT line and he handles the ball better than anyone else on the court.

Right now, late in the game, we are rebounding, throwing a quick outlet to anyone (or the rebounder takes
off running with the ball) and we shoot quickly. We then miss shots, turn the ball over and lose big leads. Late in the game it should be rebound, give it to Joey, run the offense and use 30 seconds up on each possession while you look for a good inside shoot or a chance to go to the FT line.

Outstanding analysis. I keep wanting to add something but I can't.

It takes a very mature, disiplined team with great chemistry to play at both break neck speed and the 30 second half court game. We are not there yet-when and if we do, we have the talent to go sweet sixteen. Other than Maynor which is a big"other" granted, I think we have lots more talent than last year but can we put it together? Away games worry me-we are a different team outside of the stu.

If our offense doesn't call for a half court offense then don't expect our guys to be able to run one??? That's not gonna get us very far..... :?

Every basketball team has to have a half court offense-you will not fast break every possesion-check out how many fast break points we had in our last three games. If we run clock off with a lead late in the game, it requires a half court game-I consider it a half court offense if the point gaurd or coach holds up fingers for the play, which is most posessions.

My ONLY concern with Joey is minutes...we have to get Theus more playing time and give Joey more of a breather. I worry about these 34 minute games on him down the stretch...seems like AG burned Joey out in previous seasons...

VCUBeatsduke

VCUBeatsduke said:
My ONLY concern with Joey is minutes...we have to get Theus more playing time and give Joey more of a breather. I worry about these 34 minute games on him down the stretch...seems like AG burned Joey out in previous seasons...

VCUBeatsduke

Joey is doing a lot more now than in previous years and did need to come out with less than 3 min left against Tulane. Grayson played 6 minutes against Tulane.

VCU4LIFE said:
If our offense doesn't call for a half court offense then don't expect our guys to be able to run one??? That's not gonna get us very far..... :?

Our offensive system is glorified streetball we run and jack threes with the occasional pass inside to the big man.

Mercury said:
VCU4LIFE said:

Our offensive system is glorified streetball we run and jack threes with the occasional pass inside to the big man.

QFT. Been saying this all year. We run and gun, like the UNLV teams of the 80s, but without the criminals and as much talent. Minus 1 last second play at W&M (which we shouldn't have needed) I am not impressed at all with the Xs and Os so far. We have more talent than anyone in the league top to bottom, but somehow I don't have a great feeling about it yet. For now, I say slow it down at the end of games and play like you have a lead...nothing stupid, get the ball inside and get to the line.

Just heard that it had been bothering him for "several games."

And, you guys are right. Some of Jay's misses have been pretty bad. Think my memory was being a bit more rosy and selective that it should have been. (Also, remember I've been watching poopty internet feeds)

Rambunctious said:
Mercury said:
VCU4LIFE said:

QFT. Been saying this all year. We run and gun, like the UNLV teams of the 80s, but without the criminals and as much talent. Minus 1 last second play at W&M (which we shouldn't have needed) I am not impressed at all with the Xs and Os so far. We have more talent than anyone in the league top to bottom, but somehow I don't have a great feeling about it yet. For now, I say slow it down at the end of games and play like you have a lead...nothing stupid, get the ball inside and get to the line.

And I've been saying its on the coaching staff. The runs that Tulane, et.al. make are the results of poor coaching decisions. Smart will come around, I hope.

Hey Sometimes, a 10-4 on that poopty internet-it's terrible-I can't even distinguish the players sometimes-I'm going to disconnect my router next time, someone told me that would help. Anybody out there know how to improve reception-I have high speed fiber optic.

The most important step for a good video stream that everybody always forgets about is making sure that your video card driver is up to date.

Back