Recruiting Recruiting Sub-Forum? Please vote!

Should we create a sub-forum under Men's Basketball for recruiting?

• Yes

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What happened to updating the recruiting tab on the menu bar? If that were consistently updated it would be easy to track who the coaches are after. This way you don't have to sort through the back & forth in the recruiting thread and you don't have to create a new thread for every kid. Highlight videos for each player could be posted in the recruiting tab without having to make new threads. I think an official visit is worth a new thread though, as there's a real chance at that point. The recruiting news is great, it just needs to be streamlined a little bit.

Just throwing out a suggestion that could be a compromise to both sides of this without having to make huge changes. You could even sticky a link to the recruiting tab in the main basketball forum just to make it more visible.
What happened was that I stopped updating it. Without the ability to create individual pages for each recruit, I don't know that it offers a better solution than a subforum. I tried that with the 2017 class but it ended up being fairly clunky to both design and look at (imo).

A combination of the two could work, though.

@Rams4Life I temporarily reverted the page back to how it looked around this time in 2017. I have something similar to what you were thinking (i think), but only for our commits.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/recruiting/

As you can see, not a ton of room for adding vids/tweets/discussion/etc - especially for kids that we haven't even made a cut list for yet. With a subforum we could just link directly to the thread discussing the player where all that stuff could be posted.

Plus, crowdsourcing it would be great.

How about the "Let's bash all forums"forum.

Has this place really changed so much?

GFY

Well, believe it or not, unrelenting and unquestioning positivity isn't a requirement for fandom - nor is it the virtue folks make it out to be. I've noticed some of the folks that pride themselves on being so positive can be really, really nasty to folks that have a different point of view.

The problem is not your different of view. You have gone out of your way to call people "stupid" or "ignorant" as well as host of other things while expressing a different opinion.

In addition, nobody appointed you forum monitor.

@Rams4Life

I think a shared account to start threads would be useful. Perhaps named something boring like "VCU Recruiting." Or we could go with something like "Future Spider Squashers."

The pw would be shared with "responsible" members of the community (that's a Celtic dig, just so no one else offended) so when members have the time or energy to edit, the responsibility could be shared.

And btw, this suggestion is irrespective of the subforum conversation.

How abut a new recruiting thread with a tracking spreadsheet for all the recruits. Name, position, ranking, list of offers, status etc. disable posting and pin it to the forum. Someone, the mods, could only update it. Then people can view it without having to wade thru comments.

@Rams4Life I temporarily reverted the page back to how it looked around this time in 2017. I have something similar to what you were thinking (i think), but only for our commits.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/recruiting/

As you can see, not a ton of room for adding vids/tweets/discussion/etc - especially for kids that we haven't even made a cut list for yet. With a subforum we could just link directly to the thread discussing the player where all that stuff could be posted.

Didn’t know the options on the recruiting tab were that limited. I guess a sub-forum is the way to go then.

Could a recruiting subforum be accessed via the main basketball board? Stickied at the top?
As opposed to an entirely separate forum al a baseball/general/etc

Thoughts?

How about enforcing guidelines to keep non basketball topics like "vcu and papa johns" and the "elimination of gold rush dancers" off the basketball forum. That is stuff that clogs the basketball forum.
VCU and Papa John's was an issue that is related to Men's Basketball. As the lead revenue generating sport, that has a team largely made up of African Americans, association with any brand that as seen as hostile to African Americans could have a direct affect on our ability to recruit.

Also, one could argue that GR Dancers are a component of Men's basketball as is the band.

Censorship is censorship. At the end of the day, its tough to define what should or shouldn't be on the Basketball Forum. However, you know it when you see it.

Fwiw, not looking to get into a long drawn out discussion about PJ's or any social issue. Just responding to DL.

VCU and Papa John's was an issue that is related to Men's Basketball. As the lead revenue generating sport, that has a team largely made up of African Americans, association with any brand that as seen as hostile to African Americans could have a direct affect on our ability to recruit.

Also, one could argue that GR Dancers are a component of Men's basketball as is the band.

Censorship is censorship. At the end of the day, its tough to define what should or shouldn't be on the Basketball Forum. However, you know it when you see it.

Fwiw, not looking to get into a long drawn out discussion about PJ's or any social issue. Just responding to DL.

okay. Thank you. I agree. But if, these papa john's and gold rush threads are ok the main forum than so are the recruiting threads.

Back