Ryan Odom officially named VCU head coach

Does Darius or Joey coming back make sense career wise? Burgess & Maynor are in the NBA and thriving. Would it be just to get into the college ranks? Feels like it's Rozzell, or a mystery candidate.

I don’t think it’s MSS. Not for a job like VCU. Personally think it’s Burgess given reasons many have already shared. Maynor or Joey make sense next given what they’ve done. I could see Rhoades being the one to elevate Rozzell at some point if he stayed here, but I don’t think Odom does.

Yeah, well...it depends. People forget that we were 14-8 at one point in MR's first season (which is close to his career VCU winning %) and ended the year poorly. If we jump out to a really good start (even if unexpected) and we're on course for a NCAA bid and fizzle out at the end, not sure how an NIT would feel. If we start off horribly and rally similar to this season and get into the NIT, I would probably feel differently about it in year one.

But once the Odom's program is established there would have to be some unique circumstances to ever feel OK about the NIT.
Thats illogical. "really good start" is an illusion. If you finish, say, 15 and 15 you are 15 and 15. If you win every other game all year, you are 15 and 15. If you lose the first 14 then go 15 and one, your are still 15 and 15.
You are what your record is.

DL,

I tink you are correct. But if he has a core of Fats, Zeb, Fermin, and Tobi we wont be little sisters of the poor. All he needs to due is find a few kids who want minutes and who can get after it. Zeb is ready for prime time, Tobi and Fermin are just a summer of hard work away, as if Fats.

Again, if we can get keep those guys on board we will be ok. Even if we kept our guys, we still needed a shooter and a big that could defend in the paint. Well we need a shooter and a big who can defend in the paint.
I like all four of these kids a lot, but the four, individually and collectively, haven't played a lot of college basketball. Those four guys have a combined 6 seasons of college basketball (Zeb has 3 of them). They've combined for 102 games, 944 minutes, and 252 points in those 6 seasons of college basketball. I look for jumps from all of them, but we desperately need some experience on the roster.

I guess I don’t get the big worry. Odom had arguably a better resume now than Rhoades currently. He’s gonna bring talent in. He’s gonna change the philosophy which honestly was needed. Let’s not forget offense was still an issue. Ace goes down and we had no plan ever. Having elite defense is great but balance wins basketball. Our best teams were top 50 offenses with 100-120 defenses. Nothing wildly elite but they had major balance. If you score in bunches it puts pressure on the other team to keep up and then they take bad shots. Let’s not sit here and pretend like there were games we weren’t going WTF as players got free runs at our hoop uncontested. We absolutely switched off different games. Rhoades struggled to recruit big guys through out his tenure. Maybe Odom does better in this or maybe he turns us into a shooter team that’s less reliant on big man play.
I'm with you on a lot of this, but the worst of the free runs at the rim were under Shaka. As even Will Wade admitted post game, after we beat LSU, Mike found a way to pressure the ball and not give up a lot of odd-man breaks.

I do like that we've gone outside the VCU family and the Shaka tree for this hire. I'm excited about what Odom can do here. He's been good at both stops, but this will be the first time he can realistically recruit top athletes. Elite athleticism mixed with a strong basketball IQ and some discipline can be dangerous.

That seems like it would be a great hire for them if it comes to fruition. Looking at his resume, they may end up upgrading their coaching situation long term hiring a guy with roots in that part of the country.
There's a lot of conjecture but no hard evidence yet who the next USU coach will be. It's disturbingly quiet. Most fans are frustrated it's taking this long since it's been fairly obvious that Odom has been looking to jump ship for at least a couple months. Having an interim AD and lame duck university president probably didn't help the situation early on.

There's a lot of conjecture but no hard evidence yet who the next USU coach will be. It's disturbingly quiet. Most fans are frustrated it's taking this long since it's been fairly obvious that Odom has been looking to jump ship for at least a couple months. Having an interim AD and lame duck university president probably didn't help the situation early on.
The AD and president situation could make a potential new coach hesitant. I'm sure it also bogs down the process.

Thats illogical. "really good start" is an illusion. If you finish, say, 15 and 15 you are 15 and 15. If you win every other game all year, you are 15 and 15. If you lose the first 14 then go 15 and one, your are still 15 and 15.
You are what your record is.
It's completely logical in the context I'm talking about. If you remember when the Washington football team hired Marty Schottenheimer, he started his tenure as head coach 0-5. He ended the season 8-3. Yeah, the final record was 8-8 but everybody was encouraged about the future based on what he had established and how they ended the season.

Of course, little Danny Snyder turned fan boy and fired Schottenheimer in order to hire his man-crush Steve Spurrier, but that's besides the point.

You're basically taking that famous Bill Parcells quote and applying it in a different context than how he meant it.

Last edited:
The AD and president situation could make a potential new coach hesitant. I'm sure it also bogs down the process.
Looks like information is finally coming out that Sprinkle is finalizing a deal to come to Logan, I assume that means Dixon will head to Richmond.

Looks like information is finally coming out that Sprinkle is finalizing a deal to come to Logan, I assume that means Dixon will head to Richmond.
Hope so. I think that's a great hire for them. Life can go on if you lose your coach...unless you're Mason.

Think that's a good hire. Hopefully VCU and Utah State end up doing with great hires here. Best of luck.
Still think the fan base in both places should push for a home and home. Good MM programs need to be playing each other. Come Odom and Sprinkle get it done.

Is Dixon still coming if Theus is the new assistant? I thought there was only one spot left.

Back