Juvonte Reddic a Ram?

I don't give a crap about how many stars a kid has.

That being said, Brad is right in that every kid we sign isn't Jesus. Sometimes you get a Maynor, other times you get a DReid, and then sometimes you sign a Jabullah Murray. Can't wait to see them all get their shot on the court though.

Pavarotti said:
I don't give a crap about how many stars a kid has.

That being said, Brad is right in that every kid we sign isn't Jesus. Sometimes you get a Maynor, other times you get a DReid, and then sometimes you sign a Jabullah Murray. Can't wait to see them all get their shot on the court though.

Brad you are correct that you need to wait until you see them in a VCU uniform in an actual game before you know much about them no matter what it said, but there is nothing wrong with being optimistic until then. That is true for guys with any number of stars. All I know is that I am starting to get real excited about next season, and this season isn't even over yet. Hopefully all of the recruits will fit the system well, fit in with their teammates and enjoy their time here at VCU.

DJ & Number of Scholarships [DJ counts as a scholarship]

After we received the verbal from DJ Haley I talked with some of the Richmond Times Dispatch sports brain trust about their understanding of potentially utilizing "academic" scholarships for "sports teams". Here's the bottom line regarding feedback:

If you recruit somebody, they have to be on an athletic scholarship and it counts against the number in that sport. The only way you can put them on an academic scholarship is if they come without being recruited, which obviously doesn't happen at higher levels.
You can have 13 on basketball scholarship, but I don't know of anything limiting the number of walk-ons on the team.

[I would mention name but I wasn't planning on posting and would want to ask permission first]. Regardless, this applies to all NCAA schools. DJ to my knowledge was recruited--can anyone possibly say otherwise? I believe Shaka traveled specifically to CA to see him play, courted him, and was a guest at a VCU game. I do not think the Engineering department was involved at all [which is a major point of his student athlete interest].

Why would any of our 5 recruits next year give up other offers to be a walk-on at VCU? They won't; therefore, two present players must go [IMHO].

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/c ... ops05.html

This week, 6-foot-5 guard-forward Marcus Capers of Winterhaven, Fla., committed to WSU for 2008-09 — after WSU junior guard Taylor Rochestie decided to give up his scholarship. Rochestie's decision allowed the Cougars to squeeze in Capers with the NCAA maximum of 13.

Later, WSU informed Jerome Capers that it had no available scholarships, with a projected class of four recruits for 2008. Then Rochestie, whose Santa Barbara, Calif., family is able to afford the loss of the scholarship, broached the idea to WSU coach Tony Bennett.

Just saying, stuff happens.

True, I guess it's possible one of the incomong recruits comes from a financially solid family with the ability/interest to pay out-of-state tuition, which is not cheap.

At the end, none of the speculation matters. I know the coaches see/know what they are doing, and am excited about multi-bigs. But, since recent threads have speculated on who may be in/out, I'll guess Larry stays and Saintil/Grayson go. I also think it's going to rain 1.25 inches 23 days from now. :?

Mistachill said:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2003926560_wsuhoops05.html

This week, 6-foot-5 guard-forward Marcus Capers of Winterhaven, Fla., committed to WSU for 2008-09 — after WSU junior guard Taylor Rochestie decided to give up his scholarship. Rochestie's decision allowed the Cougars to squeeze in Capers with the NCAA maximum of 13.

Later, WSU informed Jerome Capers that it had no available scholarships, with a projected class of four recruits for 2008. Then Rochestie, whose Santa Barbara, Calif., family is able to afford the loss of the scholarship, broached the idea to WSU coach Tony Bennett.

Just saying, stuff happens.

And then Tony Bennett left them for UVA-Charlottesville

Pavarotti said:
Sometimes you get a Maynor, other times you get a DReid

WTF Pav....we both know my Boo was far, far better than Eric Maynor-- he really coulda been an NBA Hall-of-Famer but he didn't get the ball enough because guys like Willie Taylor always had it.

Nice to see us get a 90+ recruit with BCS offers from Maryland, Oklahoma, and Mississippi according to his high school coach. You can't go wrong recruiting guys like that in the CAA. It remains to be seen whether he'll pan out, but he certainly looks promising!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4856575

Juvonte Reddic (6-10, 215) C
2010, Winston-Salem, N.C. / Quality Education Academy
Reddic played with great energy as he dunked from set plays, drop-off passes and over smaller defenders in one on one post ups. He ran the floor and rebounded on both ends. Reddic even displayed good ballhandling ability in the open court, going behind his back before outletting on one occasion. He was tough to box out because of his relentless pursuit of the ball as he controlled the glass in his area. Reddic also used his great athletic ability and mobility to block shots. Reddic made good decisions with the ball when doubled in the post with pin-point passing to an open teammate. Defensively, Reddic can defend both post positions and even a small forward in an emergency switch. He can drive from the high post area and hit the 12-15 footer with time and space. Reddic is still learning on the job and has great upside, but he is definitely one of the best unsigned players in the 2010 class.

Can't argue with that. Hopefully we can put to rest the idea that Shaka doesn't understand that we need bigs. Haley and Reddic sound EXCELLENT on paper and if Veal comes we get another experienced post player although I hear that is not as sure as reported.

districtballer said:
Haley and Reddic sound EXCELLENT on paper and if Veal comes we get another experienced post player although I hear that is not as sure as reported.

Just for clarification Veal is the one you are saying is not as sure as reports said earlier? If this was true it would obviously calm the waters of who was leaving to make room for a 5th new guy. all in all very interesting.

As for the talk about stars and recruits we do never know how good they will be until they show up and play, but it is encouraging that we are consistently getting players to commit here who are considered highly or have been stated as huge upside guys because our program as a whole has a history of developing players of the years they are here. The next Maynor and the Sanders will be topics that naturally come up but if we have a series of players who are very solid and with the depth we are potentially building maybe you dont need the "superstar" to go where we want to go. I think of programs like Butler, Murray State, Northern Iowa which while we may not want to be compared other "mid-major" programs, but these are teams that got the job done and won in the tourney this year having very good players but none that have to necessarily carry the team every night as their superstar.

Yes Veal's commitment is not set in stone. He has been suffering from knee problems after a mid-season injury and has had his productivity hampered as a result.

I don't like the method of over recruiting in terms of the available scholarships. It just isn't a class move. Creates undue speculation, anxiety, blame... I like the post about Bennet about only offering his new recruit a scholarship when one became available. And we are doing this for the sake of landing 2 star recruits.

don't like the method of over recruiting in terms of the available scholarships. It just isn't a class move. Creates undue speculation, anxiety, blame...

Welcome to college athletics.

Back