Toibu "Tobi" Lawal

Tobi reminds me more of JT than anyone else. Freakish athleticism, highlight dunks, and early hints of an outside touch. Tobi also has an extremely aggressive nature he's developing with his confidence. He seems to believe he deserves every rebound. You can't teach that.

A very exciting upside to this young man. He should work on his footwork because if he can use leverage and positioning with his explosiveness, he will be a very difficult to stop in the paint.

You almost can't blame DL for his hyperbole.
Not JT at all. JT could never stroke it and well no one has those Tobi hops.

JT was also a better natural rebounder, he went after the ball with so much intensity.

We'll see about that one.

From what I have seen from Tobi, just in a short time, his aggression level has jumped tremendously. He's grabbing almost rebound in his area & he's hulk-smashing dunks when he's in close (which definitely reminds me of JT).

I expect his production will improve even more if he can make sure his fouls come from calls for rebounding or blocked shots.

He stuck with us through 2 coaching changes. We owe a lot to him for helping us through those transitions. Would love to see him back in the Stu at some point!
Look I love JT. He is from Detroit and I have quite a few connections in that city. I was happy when he signed. I liked his Dad and was happy he stayed.

He had great stats, but he didnt deliver, the didnt win. As far as post guys go at VCU, awards aside, hue isn’t in the top 10. JT needed the ball other bigs we have had even Larry didnt really need the ball to be successful

I like Tobi and all, but it doesn't matter how high you can jump if you get it knocked out of your hands coming down with it too often. This is where he needs to get better imo.

Look I love JT. He is from Detroit and I have quite a few connections in that city. I was happy when he signed. I liked his Dad and was happy he stayed.

He had great stats, but he didnt deliver, the didnt win. As far as post guys go at VCU, awards aside, hue isn’t in the top 10. JT needed the ball other bigs we have had even Larry didnt really need the ball to be successful
Didn't deliver? Wow.

Just gotta say I remember it differently. Man worked hard. Improved each year. God know where we would have been without him.

I like Tobi and all, but it doesn't matter how high you can jump if you get it knocked out of your hands coming down with it too often. This is where he needs to get better imo.
Dude, he's only been playing ball for like 5 years! His development since last season has been remarkable.

Just gotta be a little patient with that one.

Dude, he's only been playing ball for like 5 years! His development since last season has been remarkable.

Just gotta be a little patient with that one.
Oh, I am patient. Very happy with his development thus far. Just pointing out where I see the most room for improvevent.

We'll see about that one.

From what I have seen from Tobi, just in a short time, his aggression level has jumped tremendously. He's grabbing almost rebound in his area & he's hulk-smashing dunks when he's in close (which definitely reminds me of JT).

I expect his production will improve even more if he can make sure his fouls come from calls for rebounding or blocked shots.
Tobi not only rebounds but makes the put back many times…

Didn't deliver? Wow.

Just gotta say I remember it differently. Man worked hard. Improved each year. God know where we would have been without him.
As stated, I loved the guy. However, we rate our teams and players by wins and losses.

The Justin lead team was one of the worst in the last decade or so If not the worst that wain’t decimated by injury or illness.

Tobi and Fermin are both still a bit raw. Tobi is further along because he got some playing time last year. They are still only sophomores but have a lot of upside as they continue to develop. Slippery hands is a common symptom of young college big men. Mo, even with huge hands, had slippery hands his first year here.

Back