News VCU lands commitment from German pro Jacob Patrick

I suspect it helps that his Dad is a pro coach. Coach’s kids tend to have solid fundamentals.
Growing up as a coach’s son will likely provide him a high bb IQ. Can’t wait to watch him develop. We will have 2 players on our roster that are coach’s sons, as well as our head coach. Impressive!

I heard he was homesick.

I mean, def gotta be a bit of a change, going from being a professional in a pro league in the country you grew up in to an "amateur" and "student" in a foreign land (heck, I wouldn't do that trade). Could've been AMAZING for us. Super bummed he's gone.

Yeah. I kept it to myself the last couple of weeks. He had trouble adjusting to VCU and the city. Homesick was a word used when I first heard.
It’s too bad but it happens, especially if it’s your first time living abroad. You never know how you’ll react the first time (I’ve known this to happen several times to people I know who were super excited to move overseas).

Was really excited about Patrick, but he’s doing what’s best for him.

I heard he was homesick.

I mean, def gotta be a bit of a change, going from being a professional in a pro league in the country you grew up in to an "amateur" and "student" in a foreign land (heck, I wouldn't do that trade). Could've been AMAZING for us. Super bummed he's gone.
I heard about it throughout the last two weeks or so. One thing was the competition was a tougher than what he thought. I spoke to Rev. Nelson (Jason's Uncle) about it early in the week when I saw him. He said to me that he appeared to be just out of the rotation. Maybe he did not think he would get the minutes he expected? Speculation on that by me. In his off time he seemed to prefer hanging out at a relatives house instead of with teammates. I also heard the city kind of freaked him out. Anyway, I was excited to see if his shooting would help. Oh well, Jacob I never got to know you.
Was excited about Patrick more than any of the other guys.

Better now than 2 months from now I suppose.
Yep. This was a thought when they saw he was having trouble. The worry was he could "tough" it out and bail before the season or even during the season. He was detached from the program from the beginning.

Back