News VCU lands commitment from German pro Jacob Patrick

Yep. This was a thought when they saw he was having trouble. The worry was he could "tough" it out and bail before the season or even during the season. He was detached for the program from the beginning.
Yeah, in that case I'm glad he made the decision now rather than later. It works out for both him and VCU.

Now he can play at home and get paid for more than just living expenses.

Well now we have two open schollys.
Yep. My friend told me that Odom said that there are plenty of options in the portal. Shame it is coming to that because Patrick could flat out shoot it. He had never been away from home and he is shy. Kind of a recluse since coming to RVA. He could not tough it out I guess and it could not be worked out.

Good luck to Patrick. I wish him the best. The super early discussion I heard was he wouldn't be ready year one to be a major contributor. Then people started posting that he was dang near strater material so I said to myself maybe the early feedback I heard was wrong. I am sure only a few will ever know if it was the competition, the potential minutes or being home sick but whatever the reason things will workout as they almost always do

Good luck to Patrick. I wish him the best. The super early discussion I heard was he wouldn't be ready year one to be a major contributor. Then people started posting that he was dang near strater material so I said to myself maybe the early feedback I heard was wrong. I am sure only a few will ever know if it was the competition, the potential minutes or being home sick but whatever the reason things will workout as they almost always do
I kept hearing the same things. He was having trouble on D. Like you said, we will never know because we won't get to see him.

Homesickness is real, and being so far from home had to be hard.
It is, but I was hearing about the ”homesickness” thing about 2 days after he got to Richmond. It seems suspect to me. My bet is that he thought he’d come in and start immediately and then went up against some of the veteran guards we brought in and realized it wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought. Guys like Shulga, Bam, Zeb, etc. can all get after it and play a similar position.

Shows you really just never know. One would have thought a guy averaging 14mpg & 46ppg in the German BBL would have come in and be able to hold his own.

It is, but I was hearing about the ”homesickness” thing about 2 days after he got to Richmond. It seems suspect to me. My bet is that he thought he’d come in and start immediately and then went up against some of the veteran guards we brought in and realized it wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought. Guys like Shulga, Bam, Zeb, etc. can all get after it and play a similar position.
This would make sense to me…coupled with him possibly thinking living abroad and at an urban university would be easier adjustment than he encountered. That’s a lot of transition to make while fighting for minutes. Heck go home and make money doing what he likes, which makes sense to me. Glad he realized it quickly. Wish him the best.

Homesickness at his age is W.E.A.K. You need to figure that poop out when you are 12 and going to summer camp. Good to filter that out now. We need strong men.

**EDIT** It may not be homesickness. He may just not like it here. Either way, its good for everyone.

Last edited:
Riddle me this, could there have been immediate or eventual potential eligibility issues?

Back