League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

I agree and thanks for the civl response. I was unaware that Camara was out of the door.

If one of them is gone they dont scare me with what we have. With Camara, Holmes is a two headed monster and the other big guy transferred to UNM. The three of them were handful for shorter athletic guys.

Holmes ill be Holmes but we can get by if they dont have Camara. Unless he had foul trouble we couldn't stop him.
Yeah, when I wrote the original post saying not to forget Elvis and Brea, Holmes and Camara were already question marks, that's why I said if they didn't lose anyone else. Turned out they did. Dayton still has a lot of work to do to be competitive for the top of the A10 this coming season. They've brought in a few good pieces, really could have used Belle and I suspect will bring in some more, but they most likely will be a shadow of last years team.

Yeah, when I wrote the original post saying not to forget Elvis and Brea, Holmes and Camara were already question marks, that's why I said if they didn't lose anyone else. Turned out they did. Dayton still has a lot of work to do to be competitive for the top of the A10 this coming season. They've brought in a few good pieces, really could have used Belle and I suspect will bring in some more, but they most likely will be a shadow of last years team.
I was kind of working from the same space. I get it. Some folks on this board have personal agendas and hold grudges. As such, they seize a moment to trash talk.

Say what you will if you piss me off, I let you know. If I disagree I let you know. But if I like your post I also give you a like. Some on this board wont do that. Oh well, those are there bricks and I am not carrying them.

Actually, I really didnt care for AG as a person but did respect his skill as a HC. So if they tank, I could care less. I do think we need strong conference members.

The A10: "Hey gang....remember back in March when Mike Rhoades left VCU and just about the entire team went into the portal and their fans were all higgelty-piggelty freaking out and we were all dancing a happy jig because mighty VCU had FINALLY fallen off after a ANOTHER coaching change???......................................Yea, that was a nice 12 minutes"
"higgelty-piggelty freaking out" is the perfect description of us. Thanks for the belly laugh!

The A10: "Hey gang....remember back in March when Mike Rhoades left VCU and just about the entire team went into the portal and their fans were all higgelty-piggelty freaking out and we were all dancing a happy jig because mighty VCU had FINALLY fallen off after a ANOTHER coaching change???......................................Yea, that was a nice 12 minutes"

iu

Toward the end of last season I was talking to someone pretty high up in VCU basketball. It was before the game and he didn’t have a ton of time, but we were discussing matchups with the A10. I said at that moment the only team that scared me was Dayton because they were the only ones in the league who could match VCU’s athleticism. He said that truth be told he thought they were actually a better team but they couldn’t get it together due to injuries. Right now they don’t scare me in the least. Anthony Grant is no slouch when it comes to recruiting but he needs to get at it if he’s going to have any kind of season with that team.
Between Covid and injuries AG, like VCU, has had some bad breaks. I hope he gets it going as A10 needs multiple post season teams to prop up what I fear is a conf decline.

They were probably a better team than us last year but they just couldn’t quite put it together. They beat us in the Stu. We needed an amazing comeback to beat them at Dayton that was aided by several really bad turnovers and Grant not calling a timeout to end our late run. They pretty much had the game won. And then they got another big lead in the A10 Tournament and fell apart again. They easily could have won all 3 of those games.
To measure the effect of a timeout, we introduce a novel, interpretable outcome based on the score difference to describe broad changes in the scoring dynamics. This outcome is well-suited for situations where the quantity of interest fluctuates frequently, a commonality in many sports analytics applications. We conclude from our analysis that while comebacks frequently occur after a run, it is slightly disadvantageous to call a timeout during a run by the opposing team and further demonstrate that the magnitude of this effect varies by franchise.
Study of NBA data, but not sure why the results in college would be different

Injuries definitely hurt Dayton, but I thought they were a better team without Elvis and Smith. Also, Blakey was a relatively weak position for them. Without the big guys, they’d have been a bottom half of the league team.

Another 6'0" guard for Richmond but this one had a worse ts% than Kuany while playing in maybe the worst conference in D1. So I am sure all the fans on their board trying to downplay Kuany hate this pickup for them.

Another 6'0" guard for Richmond but this one had a worse ts% than Kuany while playing in maybe the worst conference in D1. So I am sure all the fans on their board trying to downplay Kuany hate this pickup for them.

I saw the pick up yesterday. I looked and he played 31 minutes a game. His shooting %s are awful. You are correct about Kuany. I went over and read their transfer portal thread. Some Va Tech/UR fan seems like his basketball knowledge would not fit in a thimble.

Last edited:
Back